Thick & Thin
One in 4 young people in Australia will experience a mental health issue at some point. With some 10,000 young men playing in the VAFA each week, mental health issues are likely to prevalent at all clubs.
THiCK & THiN is a player led initiative that will primarily focus on:
- Creating awareness of men’s mental health within the VAFA, and the normalisation of mental health concerns;
- Encouraging team mates to have a conversation if they notice any signs of mental health issues within themselves or others; and
- Acting as a signpost for those either experiencing a mental illness or those supporting a mate through hard times.
In 2015, the major components of THiCK & THiN will include:
- Consistent engagement and ongoing information provided to VAFA players related to seeking help and supporting teammates;
- Collaboration with headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation;
- A THiCK & THiN round to include dedicated awareness raising activities including featured teams playing in dark and light blue socks; and
- Active Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts to promote the initiative.
How did Thick and Thin come about?
Check out the stories of a couple of VAFA Footballers below.
|Alcohol_web Anxiety_web Depression_web Tobacco_web What is mental health_web|
|headspace||Kids help line
1800 55 1800
1300 22 4636
eheadspace – for online and telephone counselling
1800 650 890
13 11 14
One in Five