The VAFA would like to congratulate Simon Meredith on being chosen to officiate this year’s AFL Grand Final between Sydney and Hawthorn.
It will be Simon’s first AFL Grand Final having been an AFL umpire since 2004.
Simon commenced his umpiring career in the Moorabin Saints Junior Football league before coming across to the VAFA as a 15 year old with good mate Brad Hodge where the boys ran the boundary for a couple of years
Hodge went on with his cricket and Simon continued to develop as an umpire as he moved into the field at the age of 17.
He continued as a VAFA field umpire for four years before being promoted to the Victorian Development Squad and was one of the rare umpires to do so without ever umpiring an A Grade game.
You can see a complete list of Simon’s career progression below including the highlights along the way.
From everyone at the VAFA we congratulate you.
- 1990: Moorabbin Saints Junior Football League,
- 1991-1996: Victorian Amateur Football Association
- 1997-98: Victorian Football League Development Squad – (TAC Cup U/18 Grand Final 1998)
- 1999/2003: Victorian Football League, (VFL Reserves Grand Final 2001), (VFL Grand Final 2003)
- 2004: Promoted to AFL List of Umpires
- 2012: Umpire for the AFL Grand Final
Foe anyone interested in becoming a VAFA umpire then please contact General Manager of Umpiring Brian Goodman via [email protected] or call him at the VAFA on 9537 6777 to find out more about a career in umpiring.