Tonners, Bloods & Sharks comeback to record Round 2 wins

Posted on - Latest News, Premier B Men's, Featured

A seven-goal second quarter has helped Old Brighton to their first win for 2016, beating St Bedes/Mentone Tigers by 25 points at Brighton Beach Oval. Trailing by 20 points at the end of the first, the Tonners piled seven goals to one and followed it up with a 10-goal to eight second half. Michael Karayannis starred in a best-on-ground performance with four goals for the Tonners and Brock Rawlinson kicked three. Tigers stalwart, Paul Wintle, and young gun, Michael Barnes, kicked three each, while James Tyquin was their best.

Old Haileybury continued their stunning form in Premier B as they sealed their second consecutive victory with a 16-point come-from-behind victory against Fitzroy at Brunswick Street Oval. Trailing at every break throughout the match, the Bloods put a 17-point three quarter time deficit to bed with five unanswered goals in the last. Corey Connelly was the main recipient with four majors for the Bloods but it was Jarrod Plymin who starred in the comeback. Daniel Bissetto continues his strong start to the year for the Roys with three goals.

Stephen Milne played his best game since joining Beaumaris, kicking six goals and helping the Sharks to a 34-point come-from-behind victory at Gerry Green Reserve. Seven points down at the last break, the Sharks piled on eight goals to two in a dominant final quarter display. Robert Cathcart was at the forefront of the Sharks’ revival, while Kurt Lopo and Nathan Peterson combined for seven of the Vultures’ 14 goals.

Old Scotch sit comfortably on top of the Premier B ladder after they defeated Monash Blues by 41 points at Frearson Oval. A Jack Bull-inspired Cardinals outfit led from start to finish as Jono Daggian and Tim MacMillan combined for seven majors. Andre Headberry was important for the Blues with four majors and Gerard Gillian gave 100% all day.

AJAX got their season up and going with a 53-point drubbing of Hampton Rovers at Gary Smorgon Oval. Despite leading by just seven points at the half time break, the Jackas piled on 11 goals to three in the second half with David Fayman recording five of them. Geoffrey Measey was best on ground, while Nathan Smith stood tall with four goals for the eighth-placed Rovers.