Posted on - Latest News

Melbourne’s overnight rainfall meant there were 17 VAFA matches postponed today with 4 of those matches senior contests. At this stage all matches will be caught up either this week or on one of the other bye weekends. But there was still some fantastic football played. 
Division 1 had a couple of thrillers as we first cast our attention to Williamstwon where the CY’s had a two point win over Whitefriars. Ben Gray kicked six for the home side in the win. Hampton Rovers are still undefeated, but they had to come from behind against a plucky MHSOB at Boss James. The Rovers won by 9 points in one of their toughest encounters for the year. 
Ormond are back in contention after they dismantled Prahran Assumption by 53 points at home. Old Geelong won against Bulleen Templestowe by 39 points on a very wet Como Park. Old Mentonians built some percentage against a disappointing Glen Eira. Oliver Webber kicked 8 goals for the Panthers in their 134 point win.  
Division 2 is one of the more interesting sections with a number of teams fighting for a spot in the four. Yarra Valley made their claim when they defeated fellow finals aspirant St Mary’s Salesian by 46 points. Therry Penola staked their claim for premiership favouritism when they beat Old Eltham by 21 points on the Turtles home deck. Corey Bannister’s five goals were the difference for the Lions. Ivanhoe are not out of the running yet either; they had a good 43 point win over Emmaus St Leos. 
South Melbourne Districts were one of the few teams to host matches in the Albert Park precinct, and it was a good choice as they beat Old Paradians by 35 points. Rob Cheevers slammed through five goals in the win. IN the closest game of the section, a Russell Robertson (4 goals) inspired Monash Gryphons upset St John’s by two points. It was an incredibly high scoring and close contest all day with the scoreline 13.6 to 13.1 at half time. Rohan Scott bagged six goals but it wasn’t enough for the Jocs on the day in this thriller.  
Division 3 had two senior matches cancelled, with both Albert Park and Power House (two Grand Prix affected grounds) both electing to postpone their matches. In other contests, UHS-VU were much too strong for Old Westbourne. Mark Temming’s five goals helped the Students to a 112 point win. 
Aquinas visited South Mornington and left with four points banked. Sam Williams’ nine majors the difference in the 47 point win. St Francis Xavier were in clash jumpers but that didn’t affect their performance against Swinburne University. The X-men grabbing a 15 point win. 
In the match of the day played at Collingwood’s old hoe Victoria Park, it was the top of the table clash that produced the closest result of the day. Kew hung on to defeat Richmond Central by a point. Both sides were inaccurate on the brilliant playing surface. 
Division 4 pacesetters Eley Park Sharks continued their unbeaten start to the season this time defeating the visiting Point Cook by 21 points. Box Hill North continued their high scoring form, but were this time on the right side of the result when they beat Manningham Cobras by 37 points. Daniel Penny kicked five goals for the Demons. It was another one point margin at Mt Lilydale as the home side hung on to beat Northern Blues by a point. 
The Dragons drop off continued this week as West Brunswick thrashed the new club by 61 points.  The final match of the section was a regulation 71 point win by North Brunswick over Chadstone. Ben Gallagher snared five goals for the Bulls in the win. Hawthorn enjoyed the bye.