Uni Blues snatch double chance, Sharks attack in Bayside Derby

Posted on - Latest News, Premier Men's, Featured

A goal in the last two minutes from Tim Geappen helped University Blues to a thrilling four-point victory over De La Salle, securing second spot on the ladder and the double chance. Leading by 10 points at the last break, Geappen kicked the third of his four goals to extend the lead to 15 points, before De La piled on three in a row prior to Geappen’s heroics in the 27th minute. Will Cuningham and Ryan Eade starred for the Blues, while Michael Chippendale was best afield for De La. The Blues will now meet SKOB in the second semi, while De La face Collegians in the elimination final.

University Blacks will return to Premier B for the first time since their 2012 premiership after they were unable to hold on against St Kevin’s, going down by 20 points at TH King Reserve. Needing a win to give themselves any chance of avoiding relegation, the Blacks came out firing and kicked four goals to one in the first term. They managed to hold off the ladder leaders in the second and maintained a healthy 16-point lead at the half, before SKOB exploded in the third and won the game with six unanswered goals. Stephen Gilham did the bulk of the damage up forward with three goals while Thomas Jok was named Inner FM’s best player after he produced a four-quarter effort. Hugh Curnow was outstanding for the Blacks while Lochie Dornauf and Mitch Carnie booted three goals each. While the Blacks return to Premier B with four wins for the year, SKOB claimed the minor premiership on the back of their 16th win and will face University Blues in next week’s second semi-final.

Beaumaris completed their season with a comprehensive 34-point victory over St Bedes/Mentone Tigers in the return Bayside Derby at Brindisi St Oval. An eight-goal to two opening term paved the way for the Sharks as they managed to hold off the Tigers when they were kicking with the strong breeze in the second. The two sides broke even with five goals each in the second half but the Sharks rarely looked threatened as Josh Ward dominated through the midfield and Jordan Smith bagged five goals up forward. Stephen Milne and Luke Edmondson kicked three each for the Sharks, while Ben Dance and Josh Cowan nailed two each for the Tigers. Cowan was a standout for the Tigers with his raking left boot cutting through the Bayside breeze and continually hitting targets from defence. The Sharks will now return to Premier B on the back of three wins from their past five games.

After a disastrous start to the year and a recent battle with relegation, Old Trinity finished with their third consecutive victory after they defeated Old Melburnians by six points at Daley Oval. Despite kicking an inaccurate 5.19, the T’s proved too strong in the second half of the low-scoring affair, kicking 27-16. Sebastian Nicolosi was named best afield for the T’s and Luke Pacconi starred in his 200th senior game for the club. Callum Pohl was also influential for the T’s in his 150th straight match. Tom Paule and Josh Freezer were outstanding for OMs and Angus Clarke booted two goals. The loss means OMs finish in sixth spot while the T’s claim seventh.

Six goals from Matt Handley helped Old Xaverians to a Round 18 victory, defeating Collegians by 57 points at Toorak Park and sending the Lions into finals without the double chance. Trailing by three points at the first break, the Xavs piled on 13 of the last 16 goals as Handley got on top of the Lions’ defenders. Nick Wynne and Dan Noonan starred for Xavs, while Kenny Ong and Courtney Hylton were named best for the Lions. The Lions will now face De La in next week’s elimination final, while the Xavs end their year in fifth spot.