Uni Blacks into Grand Final as Haileybury snatch last-minute victory

Posted on - Latest News, Premier B Men's, Featured

Eliza Wright

The University Blacks went head-to-head with Beaumaris at Trevor Barker Oval on Saturday, with the Uni Blacks overpowering the Sharks by 32 points. The first half was an arm wrestle with neither team able to firmly grasp the momentum of the game. Beaumaris lead by 1 point in the first term with intensity from Scott Gower and Connor Murphy earning them a spot amongst Beauys best, helping the Sharks to reset at every stoppage and make the most of their possessions. The Blackers managed to claw their way back into the front, hitting the lead by 4 points at halftime. After the break, the Uni Blacks continued their reign with run and carry from Campbell Moorfield and Matthew Dea keeping the Blackers in the lead. Hugh Curnow did what he does best in the Blackers forward line, working hard to keep the ball in their favour and recording two goals for the day. Despite the best efforts of Riley Mihailovic and Joel Di Natale, Beaumaris struggled to catch the Blacks as their hunger around the stoppages proved too much for Beauy. A final score of Uni Blacks 10.11-71 to Beaumaris 5.9-39 sees the Uni Blacks straight into the big dance. Having finished second on the ladder, Beaumaris will head to Elsternwick Park next week, needing to defeat Old Haileybury to keep their premiership dreams alive.

Piranah Park was treated to an absolute nailbiter as Old Haileybury were victorious by 6 points over a gallant Fitzroy outfit. Nerves from both sides showed in the first quarter with a slow start seeing Old Haileybury lead by one point. The Bloods got going in the second stretching their lead to 26 points. Lachlan Treverton worked hard through Old Haileybury’s forward line as did Jack Munro both securing a goal each. Fitzroy managed to keep them close, kicking the last two goals of the quarter to trail by 14 points at half time. After the break Fitzroy continued to bring the heat, piling on four goals six to no score in the third quarter. Donovan Toohey’s grit and determination around the ground was pivotal in keeping the Roys in the game as was Jock Green’s pressure down back. Julian Turner’s captains’ goal on the 3-quarter time siren had the Roy’s up and about. Haileybury were never going to die wondering, with Brede Seccull and Brodie Steele upping their pressure through the middle. A goal from Durras Seccull on a tight boundary line angle put Haileybury up by a goal. Ted Clayton was quick to respond with his third goal for the day brining scores back to level. In the end, it was Jack Lonnie’s goal on the run that sealed the game for the Bloods. A final score of Fitzroy 10.13-73 to Old Haileybury 11.13-79 booked Old Haileybury a ticket to next week. A fantastic feat from Fitzroy to keep with the Bloods, having been defeated by 56 in round 8 and 79 points in round 16.

Looking forward to next week, Beaumaris will take on Old Haileybury at Elsternwick Park. These two teams have been close all year with Old Haileybury yet to triumph over the Sharks.  Round 6 fell the way of Beaumaris by 16 points as did Round 10 by 20 points. Beaumaris will need to get going early, to stamp their mark the game. Old Haileybury tend to play their best footy in the back half of the game, clawing back some fantastic wins earlier in the year.

Vale Maurie Considine
Posted November 27, 2023
VAFA Staff Update
Posted November 29, 2023
Umpire in the VAFA in 2024
Posted November 24, 2023
VAFA seeks Club Support Coordinator
Posted November 24, 2023