Eley Park win an epic as Falcons make their move

Posted on - Latest News, Featured, Division 4 Men's

Billy Bolch

The first match of the round saw the division’s two top sides face off as North Brunswick hosted Box Hill North at Allard Park. Both sides got off to a slow and steady start, and although they had 3 more scoring shots than their opponents, the Bulls were unable to convert on the scoreboard, but they still held an 8-point lead at quarter time. The second quarter was one that was all North Brunswick as they added on 4 goals for the quarter, extending their lead out to a very handy 29 points.

In the third term, the Bulls were able to replicate their previous efforts, keeping the Demons to a single goal whilst also adding 4 of their own to extend their lead out to 52 points. The Bulls simply continued to do what they do best and that’s playing their ruthless brand of football. After an early few goals, the Bulls put not just their foot but a brick on the accelerator as they rampaged home with a massive 14 to 2 goal final quarter in what is a scary look for their upcoming opponents. In the end, after a steady first half and a dominant final quarter, it was the Bulls that ran out winners over the Demons by a whopping 128 points, their fourth largest win this season.

Andrew Ramzy dominated the Demons in front of goal with 7 majors. Jareth Ombiga was also a major contributor with 5 goals, and teammates Luke Russell (3), Christopher Sanders (2) and Jake Horwood (2) also contributing. For the Demons, Ethan Hocking had 2 majors whilst Jack Dullard, Timothy Inglis and Kyle Hocking all found their way onto the scoreboard with a goal. In the best for the Bulls were Simon Woodward, Samuel Watt and Adam Tsardakis. In the best for the Demons were Corey Bull, David Edwards and Marcus Lorkin. The Bulls will now face the next most in-form side as they take on Albert Park away. The Demons will look to rebound as they take on the Sharks who are coming off a massive win.

The second match of the round saw one of the most exciting matches take place this season as Masala faced off against Eley Park in what was a high-scoring epic. The first quarter saw both teams with strong starts as a fast-paced quarter saw 11 goals kicked between the sides culminating in a 3-point Masala lead as the teams went into their huddles. The second quarter saw the Sharks fight tooth and nail to swing the game back into their favour as they added 7 goals for the quarter to take an 8-point lead into halftime.

Coming off the main break, the words of coach Matty Embling lifted the Sharks to another level as they were able to continue to build with a 5-goal to 3 quarter, extending their lead out to 20 points, and setting the scene for a major final quarter. The final quarter played out the only way an epic game should, with an epic goal for goal shootout. And just like that, the Tigers changed the rhythm to get the game on their terms, sneaking in 3 extra goals to take a four-point lead with 3 minutes left on the clock. However, for the Tigers, it wasn’t meant to be as a stunning goal on the run from the Sharks was enough to seal the game as Eley Park ran out winners, holding on to the final stages with a thrilling 2-point victory in a high scoring affair.

Tom Williamson led the way up forward for the Tigers with 6 goals. Luke Decarne and Amir Bou-Karroum were also major contributors with 4 and 3 goals respectively. Kane Scanlon was able to hit double digits with 10 majors (only the second player this season to achieve the feat). Tom Johnston had 3 goals for the game with teammates Aaron Williams, Harrison Ellis and Bailey Bowyer kicking 2 goals each. In the best for the Tigers were Tom Williamson, Brandon Kelly and Henry Kuner whilst in the best for the Sharks were Kane Scanlon, Blake Reardon and Jake Wakeling. The Tigers will now face the JOCs in what is essentially a winner takes all clash whilst the Sharks will look to capitalise on this winning energy as they host the Demons.

The final match of the round saw Albert Park take on St Johns in a match that would start to give shape to the top 4. The first quarter saw both teams have no troubles at all when it came to hitting the scoreboard with the Falcons kicking 5 goals and the JOCs kicking 4. Although two teams went into their huddles it was almost as if only the Falcons came back onto the field, as they produced a dominant quarter, kicking 5 goals to 1 and extending the margin from 9 points to a comfortable 31-point lead heading into the major break.

After a dominant second quarter, the Falcons stepped on the accelerator even harder with a 9-goal quarter. The JOCs however, put up somewhat of a fight with 4 goals of their own. The 9 Falcons’ goals however were enough to extend their lead out to a mammoth 65 points. The final quarter saw both sides up their defense, as a tough back-and-forth 30 minutes of football saw the Falcons go scoreless for the quarter whilst the JOCs only managed to kick 1 goal of their own to slightly reduce the difference to 61 points. In the end, it was the Falcons that gained the victory in what is a significant win for the Falcons as they just about secure their spot in the Division 4 finals.

In his first game back from injury, Falcon Jack Lee dominated up forward with 6 goals. Joshua Beets (4), Drew Pearman (2), Alistair Lupo (2) and Ashley Evans (2) were also major contributors. Benjamin Ayache was the man in charge up forward for the JOCs with 4 goals. Liam Salisbury also helped run the forward 50 with 30 goals of his own. In the best for the Falcons were Alexander Evans, Paul Hutchins and Drew Pearman. In the best for the JOCs were Daniel Cattolico, Michael Horton and Corey Ely. The Falcons will now face their biggest challenge as they host the Bulls. The JOCs will look to rebound as they face cross-town rivals Masala in one of the most important games of this season so far.